Over the course of the past few years, several organizations have investigated Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and its partnerships. In these investigations, CRS has been found to be intimately involved, either directly or indirectly, in the promotion of abortion and contraception. A brief history of some of the serious concerns faithful Catholics have had regarding CRS is listed below.
The Lepanto Institute is committed to continuing these investigations until such time as CRS is finally brought into compliance with the Motu Proprio, On the Service of Charity, issued by Pope Benedict XVI.
Art. 10. § 3. In particular, the diocesan Bishop is to ensure that charitable agencies dependent upon him do not receive financial support from groups or institutions that pursue ends contrary to Church’s teaching. Similarly, lest scandal be given to the faithful, the diocesan Bishop is to ensure that these charitable agencies do not accept contributions for initiatives whose ends, or the means used to pursue them, are not in conformity with the Church’s teaching.
Unfortunately, CRS regularly receives large sums of money from government agencies and public foundations which actively push for world-wide use of abortion and contraception. By accepting this money, CRS routinely finds itself in compromising positions.
- In 2011, noted Theologian Germain Grisez exposed CRS’s publication of a condom-promoting flip-chart with the standing order that CRS’s logo not be included on the charts.
- In July of 2012, Life Site News broke the story of CRS giving $5.3 million to CARE, a contraception and abortion-promoting organization.
- August 2, 2012, Red State revealed that CRS is a dues-paying member of COREgroup, an organization that pushes contraception.
- On August 14, Red State also revealed that CRS is a dues-paying member and on the executive committee of MEDiCAM, an organization that pushes contraception and abortion in Cambodia. In fact, a CRS regional director was a member of the planning committee for MEDiCAM when it created a policy paper for 2011 indicating the intention to train abortion-providers.
- On September 6, 2012, Life Site News revealed that CRS had written several documents promoting condom use.
- In 2013, American Life League proved that CRS provided $64 million to organizations distributing contraception, committing abortion, and performing sterilizations.
What follows are links to reports created by the Lepanto Institute, exposing the on-going problems at CRS.
- CRS and My Changing Body – 26 January, 2015
- Analysis of CRS’s Response to Report on ‘My Changing Body’ – 10 February 2015
- CRS, PEPFAR, and the Cover-up – 3 March 2015
- Investigative Organizations Address Denials Made by CRS – 5 March 2015
- CRS Implemented Condom-Promoting Video Series – 9 March 2015
- CRS Confirms Implementation of Condom-Promoting Video – 13 March 2015
- FOIA Documents Contradict CRS Claims Regarding Healthy Choices Program – 16 March 2015
- CRS Executive in Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ – 20 April 2015
- CRS and the USCCB Sent a Letter to Congress Requesting Funds for Contraception-Spreading Programs – 02 May 2016
- CRS and USCCB Employees Celebrate Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ – 31 May 2016
- USCCB Confirms Funding Request Included Contraception-Spreading Projects – 20 June 2016
- Catholic Relief Services Employees Stand With planned Parenthood – 01 August 2016
- 98% of CRS Employee Political Donations go to Pro-Abortion Candidates – 08 August 2016
- Inventory Reports Show CRS Distributed Millions of Units of Abortifacient Contraception and Condoms – 17 October 2016
- CRS Urges Concerned Catholics to Ignore Evidence in Reports – 25 October 2016
- Catholic Relief Services CEO to Participate in Initiative of Women’s Ordination Group – 30 November 2016
- Liberians Accuse Catholic Relief Services of Fear-Mongering for Funds – 18 January 2017